Friday, October 16, 2009

Hey You! Yes You!

Sometimes when you do more than what is expected of you, it can make you feel better about things you may be going through. In experiencing this project, I've grown more aware of the homeless in our community and the needs of the families who've been affected the most by our current economic state.

I was out running errands for lunch on yesterday and had 20 minutes left to be clocked in but I hadn't had the opportunity to eat, so I stopped by McDonald's for my favorite meal (the #11 chicken selects with honey mustard for the sauce and a sprite to drink). After getting my meal I had only 10 minutes to get back and get clocked in. Mind you, I only have one more tardy to get before I get my verbal warning. So I got my meal, drove off and decide not to eat until I got back to my desk. Hungry as I was, I didn't want to wreck while eating and rushing to get back. I pulled up to my job, parked, got out and was on my way in the building to clock in and that's when I noticed him.

Their was this man, who I'd seen many times in the same location, in the same clothes, but I never thought twice about after passing him by. Well today he looked even more strange than usual but I still decided to pass him by yet again. And that's when my conscious kicked in saying "What about Project Our House?" So I turned around ran back asked him if he was hungry but didn't wait for the answer and handed him my meal, my favorite McDonald's meal. I also told him about Our House and advised him on the directions.

I felt good. Still hungry, but I felt good. So, If I've learned anything, I've learned that the old saying is true "It is more blessed to give than to receive." The blessing came in the fact that I still made it on time with no tardy, no verbal warning, and peace of mind knowing I help someone today,

So...You! Yes You! It's your time to make a difference. Stop by the open house that Our House host every first Thursday of the month and if you have items to give or don't know what to give, take a look at the weekly needs we post here on this blog and be sure to mark in your memory the drop off locations!

No comments:

Post a Comment